Sunday, November 8, 2015

Obsessed with Flamingos


I couldn't help myself.

Once I started my exploration of Flamingos I just couldn't stop.  I sketched them. I painted them in watercolor. I painted in acrylics. And I put them on multiple ceramic pieces. 

Why?  You ask.  A couple of reasons.

Reason one;

 At the end of this month I'm giving a piece to
The Studios of Key West for their annual fund raiser.  This year's theme is Feather Your Nest. I decided I'd like to give them a large flamingo painting and I wanted to do some "warm-up" pieces.

Reason two;

I love pink, I really do.

I think pink is a beautiful, elegant color.  But I'm one of the few.  Most people will not buy pink items because they won't fit in with their décor.  The flamingos gave me a great excuse to use pink. So while I was at it I decided to really go for it. I did enjoy my time with them. Now I need to get started on my painting for TSKW.

For the artists that are reading this there is a little note about the pinks, colors and brands I like to work with at the end of the photos.
 
Assorted Flamingo Pieces
Flamingo watercolors 14 x 11"  matted to 20 x 16" $95 unframed
©Maggie Ruley 2015
 

Flamingo tray $235
flamingo plate $64



Flamingo bowl $195
Flamingo plate $64
Flamingo acrylic painting $275  18 x 24"
©Maggie Ruley 2015


assorted flamingo pieces
©Maggie Ruley 2015

Flamingo Feathers
24 x 18"
$275 unframed
©Maggie Ruley 2015
Talking Heads
$68
Ceramic Flamingo tray approx. 6 x 14"
©Maggie Ruley 2015

Flamingo dish
$68
ceramic approx. 8 x 12" - 1" deep
©Maggie Ruley 2015

Flamingo tray
ceramic approx. 6 x 14"
$68
©Maggie Ruley 2015

Note to artists.

For the pinks I love, I use Holbein watercolors, bright rose and opera.  In acrylics I fool around until I get something I like, but I stay away from the cadmiums and pyrols. I like a Lucas cryl studio color called Vermillion.  I love the Holbein acrylics, but they are spendy and I don't have any at the moment.  I've been buying the Talens Amsterdam line of paints. For my ceramic colors I use Duncan Cover Coats, Miami Pink, Fruit Punch and Honeysuckle are fun pinks.

This Week in Key West




This week Key West hosts the off-shore power boat races.  It's always a thrill to hear and see them race through the harbor.  I think the best place to watch is the rocks at
 Fort Zachery Taylor State Park. But the pier at the
Ocean Key House is fun too.
Today, Sunday, November 8, 2015, the Super boats International Key West Race week starts with a parade of the boats down Duval Street

For the schedule of race events click HERE

For the home page of the Super Boats click HERE


Everyone have a great week!
hugs,
Maggie



If you are reading this is your inbox and want to read it in the original blog format which can connect to other fascinating blog posts click HERE





Maggie Ruley is a studio artist living in Key West, Florida. 
 
Her colorful paintings and tropical pottery are collected world wide and can be found in many island homes. She has been featured in the Key West Citizen,
the New York Daily News , and other publications.
 
Her handmade ceramic flip flops have been sold in gift shops all along the east coast and in California and Hawaii.
 
 Her studio and gallery is located in the historic Seaport area of Old Town Key West.
Maggie Ruley~Island Inspirations
933b Fleming St.
Key West Florida 33042

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...