Monday, September 16, 2013

The voice of the sea speaks to the soul

She Listens, 40 x 30 ", acrylic on canvas
$3,800  prints available
©2013 Maggie Ruley
 
This large painting has consumed most of my time for the last two weeks.  I haven't discussed it much in the blog because of the painting challenge.  I felt a good way to bring it into the discussion would be to do a smaller but different version.  The painting above is in the portrait format (vertical) so I thought it might be nice to do a landscape format (horizontal)
 
The voice of the sea, 8 x 10" acrylic on paper
day 16, 30 day challenge
NFS ©2013 Maggie Ruley
 
If you would like to see more of the 30 day challenge paintings click here.
 
I would like to do a larger version of the above painting because I think I could get lots of wonderful pattern and texture in different places, or it could be just as simple as the heart umbrella and the bucket,  but no that would be vertical again. (I really do love that heart umbrella)  However, I would not have the horizon line in the middle of the painting as seen here.  That is one of my pet peeves in painting and I don't know what I was thinking when I was designing this painting.  The answer is, I wasn't thinking.


The quote is by Kate Chopin from a lovely story called "The Awakening".  I like to sum it up as a story about a woman who learns how to swim, but it is so much more.
 
I usually finish my painting with edging strips, but this time I spent 2 days painting the edges and it was so worth it.  It takes the painting to a whole different level.
 
My painting give away continues.
 
 
I am having a give-away!

Here is how it works.  Leave a comment on my post and you will be entered to win.  I am going to give away one painting a week for the duration of the 30 Day Challenge, (the month of September, 2013). If you comment daily on my posts then you can be entered up to 7 times to win.  The winner will have their choice of any unsold painting of the week. 

Those of you who subscribe by e-mail to this blog can either reply to the e-mail, or comment and you will be entered.

Please note this drawing is going to be casual.  I am not hiring any fancy auditing company to do the selection.  It is going to be a plain old pieces of paper in a bowl thing.

If you are the winner your painting will be shipped to you after it has dried, which can take one to two weeks with oils

4 comments:

  1. Would love to be lying under one of those umbrellas with the fall air settling in up here in the North. The larger painting is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the larger painting....the movement of the curves in the shells, her hat, the water. Really a great composition! The smaller painting...the handling of stars in the sky, the colors in the sand...just great! Can't wait to see what evolves from this smaller painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The voice of the sea speaks to the soul"... how true! I love the colors you've used in the larger painting. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...