Wednesday, August 3, 2016

......And a Star to Steer Her By

The Power of Poetry


The world seems to be a little Helter Skelter  lately, just over the top meanness and crazy. Regrets if this bums you out, bums me out too.  So? What to do? What to do?  For me personally, it was to add some poetry* to my painting. The world needs more poetry, really.  This painting took the edge off that icky feeling for me.  I kept thinking about how the lines of poetry in the piece could represent the wind that moves the ships forward.

Because this was such an uplifting experience, I decided that my next painting classes** are going to focus on adding inspirational messages or symbols to the paintings. 

So, I'm going to tell my students to dust off their Jonathan Livingston Seagull, rummage through Pinterest for the perfect Rumi quote, or re-read their journals for snippets of things they've written that have helped them through their angst  filled moments.

I want to create a mini-movement of inspirational art.  I'm even considering a show of the work at the end of weeks we work on this.  But don't tell my students yet, just in case I can't make it work. 


Ships and Stars
24 x 24"
original acrylic
©Maggie Ruley 2016
*Sea Fever, I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel's kick, and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face and a grey dawn breaking

John Masefield

P.S.  I get my daily dose of poetry through The Writer's Almanac

** painting classes will resume the end of August, not sure the date because there's a week I might have jury duty.

Featured Giclee

Another way to add some smiles to your world is to look a Flamingo in the eye.  Everyone smiles when they do. It's a scientific fact.

Flamingo Feathers
Click here to purchase. It's easy peasy!




If you are an email subscriber to my blog and you are reading this from your inbox, 2 things.

First, you might want to CLICK HERE so you can see all the fun extras on the blog site.  You'll be glad you did and you can leave a comment.
 
And Second, Thank you! Please forward it on to anyone else who might enjoy it. Thank you again.
 
 If you aren't (reading this in your inbox)and you'd like to get all the really cool things going on in my studio delivered (with love) to your inbox, CLICK HERE  and fill out that box thingy that says, "Never miss a post", in the upper right corner.
 
 
 
 
 





Maggie Ruley is a studio artist living in Key West, Florida. 
 
Her colorful paintings and tropical pottery are collected world wide and can be found in many island homes. She has been featured in the Key West Citizen,
the New York Daily News , and other publications.
 
Her handmade ceramic flip flops have been sold in gift shops all along the east coast and in California and Hawaii.
 
 Her studio-gallery is located in the Historic Seaport area of Old Town Key West.
Maggie Ruley~Island Inspirations
933b Fleming St.
Key West Florida 33042
 
Find more things to love on my website: www.maggieruley.com
 
Connect with me on FACEBOOK

10 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...