On day 2 of my mural project I loaded the premixed colors in my car and went back to work. I had premixed 3 different greens, a cool green, a warm green and a yellow green. I also mixed an orange and a purple. I neglected to mix a couple of browns. In hindsight I wish I had. The palm tree trunks took a lot of time and if I had a couple of browns it would have been easier.
I save the Styrofoam trays that come from the grocery store to use as palettes and I took a bunch with me. I had one for palm fronds, and one for tree trunks and one for light colors. See the box top things that the paint cans and squeeze jars are sitting in? I took a bunch of those and set the cans and buckets and things in them so that if I spilled something it wouldn't go everywhere. I only used large house painting brushes the first day for the large areas. Day 2 and 3 I used my regular brushes.
This is the end of day 2. At the end of the day I had the home owners look at the mural and I told them I wanted to kick up the color in the clouds. They said fine, they would be happy to have more of a sunset feel there. We always planned on there being a lot of color in the palms and the grasses, but the sketch they okayed didn't have a lot of color in the clouds on the horizon.
I finished day 2 much more confident that this mural was going to be fine. The colors in the squeeze bottles made my life much easier. I didn't worry the entire time about the mess and I could really concentrate on the project. I left at the end of day 2 knowing just what my next steps were going to be and fairly certain that I could complete this in one more day.
I decided to take a ride by the beach on my way home and take a look at the sunset for a little inspiration. It was a lovely one.
See you day 3.