Sunday, September 18, 2011

Feathered friends

September in Key West is a quiet month. Not very many visitors and the snow birds haven't returned yet. The gallery ( 7 Artists Key West) is opened limited hours this month and I am using my extra time in the studio as best I can. I am determined to use up art supplies that I have on hand. Some of which is beautiful watercolor paper that was cut in an odd size for a workshop and didn't get used. The paper is about 7" wide and 11" long. Not standard at all, but a great shape for this series of expressive roosters. My plan was to start abstractly with just shapes and then use layering and brushwork to resolve the image. My new favorite brush is a synthetic liner that was perfect for the feathers. I used acrylic paint for all the paintings in this series. I will be showing more.

I like the above image because even though there is a lot of activity in the grass and feathers he seems calm and reflective.
"Lost in thought"
acrylic on paper
I think this rooster is just about to shake himself into a crow.
"Day Break II" acrylic on paper

I like this rooster very much but it has a "commercial" feel to it (my opinion). That may be the result of the color palette and its abstract qualities.
"Day Break I" acrylic on paper


The title says it all.


"All riled up" acrylic on paper










3 comments:

  1. I love these birds. You said you used water color paper. Did you use water color paint? It looks like oil. Very nice. Enjoy the calm before the (season) storm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Kayelen, it is acrylic paint, I really should have said that. I had better go back and edit that in.
    Thanks for your input.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work is very good. Congratulations
    Greetings
    MB

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...