Monday, August 9, 2010

Friends Since High School

I took this photo on North Topsail Beach in North Carolina this summer. I loved everything about the scene, the colorful umbrellas, the fact that all 3 women were about the same age, they were all reading, they all had L.L. Bean totes. And I liked the fact that they were together and separate at the same time. Each umbrella is like an island. I don't usually feel the need to go super real in my paintings and people are a challenge, so I decided to do a small one before I plunge into a larger one. So I got out my small brushes and went for it.
I did a sketch on a small canvas, and then changed my mind and decided because I wanted a lot of little detail to do it on smooth Bristol paper.

I used all kinds of paints, even the cheap craft paints I'm embarrassed to say I own. And then I thought I would use my pencils, but they didn't work as well as I had hoped, but they came in handy in some detail spaces.


So now I have a small study and plan to do a large one. I think the woman on the left came out best of the figures, but I like the umbrella on the right the best.
I'm calling it "Friends since high school"



10 comments:

  1. It's terrific and the composition of these women is amazing!
    Great color handling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this. What a great subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great piece - and the COLOR!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful painting - and post. I could identify with all your reasons for painting these great subjects (friends).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way Cool Maggie. How daring of you to take on a people picture. You nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maggie Maggie Maggie, I love this painting. Brings back memories of the Jersey Shore (and I don't mean that stupid TV show, lol) You are so very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maggie,
    I am so happy to be able to see this painting. Friends doing what they do, concentrating ,but still together yes!!!I wish I could see it in person. Do you plan on making prints of this??If so let me know as I would like one!!!

    Anna Haulenbeek Huskey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maggie, I just love this painting. The companionship, even in separate pursuits, is there. Beautifully painted, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa Reeder BurnsJune 21, 2011 at 6:48 AM

    Maggie, this painting feels good! Familiar setting....colorful, peaceful, together with friends cozy and beach. Love it. I would also like a copy or the original. Your style is wonderful to experience....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...