Monday, May 17, 2010

Sunflowers in the sand

Sunflowers in the sand 8 x 10" acrylic on canvas on board.


On Thursday I brought home several bunches of grocery store flowers with the intention of painting a large and loose red and yellow floral painting. I worked all day Friday on it and it was a mess. I painted, I scraped, I painted, I scraped, you get the picture. I couldn't get the background color right and the day ended in frustration and myself being covered in oil paint. On Saturday I decided to simplify. I got a smaller canvas, I used acrylic paint and focused on just two of the flowers. I was bound and determined to get my money's worth out of these flowers. Because I felt my waterfront pictures held promise I decided to put the Gulf of Mexico in the background. Turquoise and yellow-orange are always a nice color harmony. I did a quick under painting with a brush and then got out the palette knife. I added Golden's soft gel medium to the paint to extend it and to help with the impasto properties.
P.S.
In the floral set up picture in the lower right hand corner you can see some ceramic buttons I am working on. I don't know if they will ever get finished they are such a pain. (I don't know what possessed me to try and make buttons.) I had to stick the one poor sunflower back in the jar. It did not like being out of water. Tom, can you see your clock in the background?

6 comments:

  1. I think that you succeeded with your "Sunflowers in the Sand" - the colors are perfect - and I love the buttons - but I can see that they could be very tedious. Seeing the clock makes me want to do some more of those types of things - has been a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My eye enjoyed the sunflowers and then landed in the beautiful lavender shadow mix on the left...lovely!
    Buttons does sound tedious but I would imagine popular...something very very different!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maggie, I have thought for a long time that I don't like very bright colors of anything. But I have reconsidered this after seeing your work. I absolutely looooove all your ceramics and paintings. The colors are gorgeous and well balanced throughout. You're truly are a very talented artist Maggie. God has blessed you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Blue Sky, I almost changed the color of that shadow.

    Hi Jane, nice photo thanks for being a follower and the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colors -- sunflower gold against Gulf of Mexico turquoise = beautiful! Please post when you finish the buttons. As a knitter, I'm always looking for unique buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great
    Work
    good
    sources
    of
    Inspiration

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...