Thursday, December 31, 2009

Back in the day at the Blue Heaven.




I moved to Key West in October of 1985. In November of that year I got a studio in the Blue Heaven Building, $50 a month. If you look at the painting, the window of my studio is the last window in the building on the right hand side. It was a small single story add-on in back. The window faces onto Petronia Street. I lived right around the corner at 810 Whitehead Street. The building had a couple of apartments upstairs and about 4 artists studios throughout the building. Slowly everyone left until I was the only tenant. I was the only tenant for quite a while. Then the downstairs became Ricky's Blue Heaven Restaurant. Ricky is the son of the owners of the restaurant. More artists moved in upstairs, and the restaurant became very popular. I remained in my studio until 1996. By that time the restaurant owners had bought the building and they needed my space for wine storage. C'est la vie.

"Blue Heaven" is 5" x 7" on arches watercolor paper. I have ordered some large format mats. When they arrive I will mat this and it will be 11" x 14".

$60.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...