Sunday, September 6, 2009

ANTONY AND CLEOPATRA

"Antony and Cleopatra" or "Undying Love"?
I like the title "Undying Love", but with that title, I doubt anyone will know that this is a painting about Antony and Cleopatra. Here is my story line. Oops, I think the trendy thing to say these days is, the back story. The columns represent Egypt and Rome and you cannot separate the lovers from their origins. They are "of one heart" and in that heart is the temple of love (corny, but I like the image) that is burning inside. The ghost of Caesar, seen on Antony's shield is always with them. And of course, it is that ghost in the guise of Rome, that destroys them.
This painting is 11"x 14" and is a combined medium on canvas. There are collage elements in it, along with stamping and painting. This isn't going into the gallery until I get more pieces in this series. I now have four, but I would like about eight.

3 comments:

  1. I am LOVING this -----

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always imagined Cleo wearing longer robes and not ballet shoes..... yes i know its your world! Love it....Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe someone should write a ballet "Antony and Cleopatra".

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...