Thursday, April 16, 2009

THE FLIP FLOP LADY

I used to make so many flip flops that when I called my wholesale customers I identified myself as the flip flop lady. I don't make that many anymore, but I do still make them on a regular basis. They are another item that I build by hand. Here you can see the progression. Above they are on the work table being assembled.

Here they are drying. Notice that I have iron weights holding them down. If I didn't do that the toes and heels would curl up.


Here they are after they have been decorated.



Now they are in the kiln for the bisque firing. The bisque fire is the first fire before the glaze is applied. Notice that the lid is propped up. I do an oxidation fire so that the colors get nice and bright. So the kiln needs oxygen. The lid stays up for about the first 2 1/2 hours. Then it gets shut. The top peep hole always stays open.




2 comments:

  1. Maggie That is way cool. I never thought about all the steps you have to go through just to make a single flip flop. I had no idea about the iron bars! That makes it so much more mysterious. pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Pam - you know how much stuff I have in our house that you have done - and now I look at it all in a much different way. You never cease to amaze me - as I have told you many times over the years. I am so happy to count you as one of my friends....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...