Friday, October 19, 2018

I just love "before and afters", don't you?

I'm always sucked in by those "before and after" articles in magazines like Coastal Living. 

There's just something I love about the transformation process.

Maybe it's because that's what happens when I paint.  The canvas goes through a transformation. From nothing but white to whatever I want. "iheartmyjob

Lately I've been experimenting with what I call "complicated backgrounds".  

Sometimes they're super complicated, like this series

And sometimes they're just a little wild and crazy.  

I'm getting ready-to-get-ready to start a new series of Key West cottage paintings, for a show I have coming up in February. So, I've been fooling a round with the wild and crazy concept to see if I can use it to get some interesting (not your usual ho-hum) cottages. 

I've still got to tweak it some, but there are some fun aspects to painting this way.

Here's the before

What I love about this start is it's feeling of movement

And here's the after

I ended up covering up more of the original layer than I would have liked. But that's the joy of painting. Each painting is a lesson!
Corner Cottage with Cat

This painting is 16" x 20", so it's too small for the show, but like I said, I'm getting ready to get ready.
And it's always good to work out the problems on a small scale before you pull out the big canvases. #learnedthehardway

Have a great day,
hugs
Maggie

By the way? Are you getting my updates by email?
If not sign up HERE.


Have you signed up for my free class? Click the link below.


Maggie Ruley is a studio artist living in Key West, Florida. Her studio and gallery, Island Inspirations, showcases her artwork and is a creative learning center for her students.
When she's not in the studio, you can find her volunteering with local non-profit arts organizations, teaching classes and workshops, or at the beach.

Her colorful paintings and tropical pottery are collected world wide and can be found in many island homes. She has been featured in the Key West Citizen, the New York Daily News, and other publications.

Her handmade ceramic flip flops have been sold in gift shops all along the east coast and in California and Hawaii.

Her studio and gallery is located in the Historic Seaport area of Old Town Key West.

Maggie Ruley~Island Inspirations

933b Fleming St.

Key West Florida 33042

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...