Friday, September 19, 2014

How I photography my work.

For the majority of artists the painting isn't finished when the signature is applied and the brushes are cleaned.  There are still chores to be done to get that painting out into the world and into someone's collection.  And photography is one of those tasks, (probably a better word than chore)


This painting is oil and wet and messy so paper is placed under it to protect the floor.  The photo is being taken with my iPad.


The photo is cropped to take away the distracting background.  I only leave the background around a painting if I want to show scale or some other relationship, on my easle, next to the supplies I am using, on a wall or in a room to show it hanging.

The photos above were taken with the lights on -daylight flourescent bulbs.  The photo below was taken with the lights off.  Notice the shine of the wet paint is gone and the colors are cooler.

A Hint of Fall
oil on canvas
11' x 14"
$245
© Maggie Ruley 2014
There are, of course, other ways to do photographs.  And there are a number of professional kits you can purchase to help you.  This is just the system I use and for now it works for me.
 
 
I continue on with the 30 day painting challenge.  Painting every day is not the challenge.  The posting every day is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...